- The Cliff Richard And The Shadows Songbook Youtube
- The Cliff Richard And The Shadows Songbook Book
- The Cliff Richard And The Shadows Songbook Series
- The Cliff Richard And The Shadows Songbook Summary
|I'm No Hero|
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||May - June 1980  at Riverside Recordings, London; mixed at Roundhouse Studios, London|
|Genre||Pop rock, synthpop, new wave|
|Cliff Richard chronology|
|Singles from I'm No Hero|
- BRIT Certified UK record labels association the BPI administers and certifies the iconic BRIT Certified Platinum, Gold and Silver Awards Programme.
- Our extensive database contains over 3000 collections and tracks recorded by Cliff since 1958, including details of most of the 43 Studio Albums, 6 Soundtracks, 35 Compilation Albums, 6 Gospel Albums, 10 Live Albums and 139 singles.
I'm No Hero is a 1980 album by Cliff Richard. The album features three hit singles, including 'Dreamin' and 'A Little in Love', which were top 20 hits in both the UK and the US.
Written-By – Brian Bennett, Welch., Marvin., Rostill. Cliff Richard With The Shadows And The Norrie Paramor Strings –. Words By, Music By – Welch., Richard., Marvin. Words By, Music By – Welch.
Following the success of his 1979 single 'We Don't Talk Anymore' which was written and arranged by Alan Tarney, the record company were keen to use his services again. For the follow-up album in 1980, he was employed as producer for the entire album. This gave I'm No Hero a cohesive sound but was criticised at the time for being too unadventurous. The songs on the album were similar in style to 'We Don't Talk Anymore', but it was also a success, generating two top 20 singles, while the album itself made the top five in the UK.
With the lead single 'Dreamin' released in August 1980, the album came out a few weeks later. 'Dreamin' became a top 10 hit in both the UK and US, while follow-up 'A Little in Love', released belatedly in January 1981 reached No.15 in the UK and No.17 in the US. The album itself made No.4 in the UK album charts, but due to the lack of singles, failed to sustain as lengthy a run in the Top 75 as his previous album. The delayed release of the second single was most likely due to the release of 'Suddenly', a duet with Olivia Newton-John, which had been featured on the Xanadu soundtrack. This was also a top 20 hit in the UK and US - making this the most successful period for Cliff Richard in the American market.
The album received positive reviews and kept Richard high in the charts during this, his revival period. It was also the last time he would appear in the US top 20. Album track 'Give a Little Bit More', which was co-written by Andy Hill, who was about to become famous as writer and producer for Bucks Fizz, was released in some countries as a single, as was 'In the Night' - although this wasn't the same as the Barbara Dickson song which was released around the time (and was also produced by Tarney). 'Give a Little Bit More' gave Richard a third hit from the album in the US, peaking at No. 41. This track was unreleased as a single in the UK, where it was covered by Johnny Logan in September 1980, but his version failed to chart.
I'm No Hero was remastered and re-issued on compact disc in July 2001.
- 'Take Another Look' (Alan Tarney) 4:11
- 'Anything I Can Do' (Alan Tarney) 4:01
- 'A Little in Love' (Alan Tarney) 3:42
- 'Here (So Doggone Blue)' (Alan Tarney) 3:50
- 'Give a Little Bit More' (Andy Hill, Jonathan Hodge) 3:35
- 'In the Night' (Rod Bowkett) 3:48
- 'I'm No Hero' (Trevor Spencer, Alan Tarney) 3:25
- 'Dreamin' (Leo Sayer, Alan Tarney) 3:40
- 'A Heart Will Break' (Trevor Spencer, Alan Tarney) 3:59
- 'Everyman' (Alan Tarney) 4:11
Bonus tracks (2001 re-issue):
- 'Dynamite' (Ian Ralph Samwell) 3:12
- 'Keep on Looking' (Alan Tarney) 3:40
- Cliff Richard - vocals
- Alan Tarney - bass, guitars, arrangements
- Trevor Spencer - drums
- Michael Boddicker, Nick Glennie-Smith - keyboards
Charts and certifications
|Release date||Single title||UK Chart peak||US Chart peak||Australia||Canada||Ireland|
|January 1981||'A Little in Love'||15||17||66||4^^||16|
|May 1981||'Give a Little Bit More'||NR||41||NR||30 ||NR|
|Release date||Album title||UK Chart peak||US Chart peak||Australia||Canada|
|September 1980||I'm No Hero||4||80||28||25 |
^ 'Dreaming' also made no.83 on the Canadian RPM 'Top 100 Singles of 1980' chart.
^^ 'A Little in Love' also made no. 33 on the Canadian RPM 'Top 100 Singles of 1981' chart.
NR - not released
The Cliff Richard And The Shadows Songbook Youtube
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||100,000^|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||100,000^|
^ Shipments figures based on certification alone.
The Cliff Richard And The Shadows Songbook Book
The Cliff Richard And The Shadows Songbook Series
- ^Cliff Richard songs.com - Recording dates
- ^Allmusic review
- ^ ab'Cliff Richard - full Official Chart History'. Official Charts Company. Official Charts Company. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- ^Billboard.com - 'Dreamin'
- ^Billboard.com - 'A Little in Love'
- ^Allmusic.com - I'm No Hero review
- ^Rate Your Music.com - 'Give a Little Bit More' single
- ^Hit parade.ch - 'In the Night' single
- ^'Cliff Richard - In the Night'. Official German Charts. Retrieved 15 September 2019.
- ^Billboard.com - 'Give a Little Bit More' US Chart details
- ^CD Universe.com - I'm No Hero CD re-issue
- ^'RPM Top 50 Singles - Volume 34, No. 6, December 20, 1980'(PDF). Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- ^'RPM Top 50 Singles - Volume 34, No. 19, April 18, 1981'(PDF). Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- ^'RPM Top 50 Singles - Volume 35, No. 2, June 20, 1981'(PDF). Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- ^'RPM Top 50 Albums - Volume 34, No. 7, January 24, 1981'(PDF). Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 15 August 2018.
- ^'RPM Top 100 Singles of 1980 - Volume 34, No. 6, December 20, 1980'(PDF). Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- ^'RPM Top 100 Singles of 1981 - Volume 35, No. 22, December 26, 1981'(PDF). Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- ^'British album certifications – Cliff Richard – I'm No Hero'. British Phonographic Industry.Select albums in the Format field.Select Gold in the Certification field.Type I'm No Hero in the 'Search BPI Awards' field and then press Enter.
- ^'Canadian album certifications – Cliff Richard – I'm No Hero'. Music Canada.